Click Here to Jump to Each Topic (Click to Play)
Was George Orwell predicting the future with his 1984 novel? Or was it easy to predict because history repeats itself? In the show today we cover some of the ‘prepper lessons” we can learn from 1984.
We also go over the realities of ham radio for preppers to help anyone who may be interested make an informed decision. It’s not as simple and straightforward and some of these websites make it sound.
I also wrote a post specifically for this segment that goes into detail about the prepper comms topic. It also has a link to Glen Tates “PAM-Radio flash cards that are a great tool for preppers.
1984 Movie Review
For years people have been pointing out the similarities between George Orwell’s dystopian novel 1984 and society. Even though the term “Big Brother” has become part of our vocabulary, most people don’t even know where it came from.
These days this story seems more relevant than ever. History is being erased and changed, surveillance is more prevalent than even Orwell would have expected, and the internet that was once a way to voice our opinions is now being used against us.
Some of the major lessons from the movie and novel 1984 are how propaganda is used for shaping minds, News Speak and Thought Crime. Everything we see and hear these days is black and white, you are either obedient or complicit.
Gamestop & Crypto
While the Game Stop short sell was a great David vs Goliath story, it seems the unbreakable bond between big banks and government will squash this uprising once again. Hopefully this is just the beginning of the “little guy” beating them at their own crooked game.
Because of the Game Stop story it got us to thinking about how viable Cryptocurrency is, or will become in the future. In this video we did last Tuesday we went over the basics of Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency.
What Were About
In our first podcast episode we went over our plans for the show and what to expect from us. While not much has changed, we decided to readdress the topic now that we have a few shows under our belt.
As we said in the show, we talk more about why to prepare rather than how to prepare, although we do that too. We talk about being prepared not just for prepping, but life in general. Being prepared for what may come, adjusting accordingly, and not getting caught off guard.
Ham radio (Amateur Radio) and 2 way radios in general are very popular subjects in the preparedness community, and for good reason. Being able to communicate and gather information in a disaster or SHTF scenario can and will be a game changer.
The problem is, just about everything you read about 2 way radios for preppers tells you why it’s important but falls short of explaining the complete story. Like why ham radio may or may not be the best option for you and your family.
In the article I wrote over at Survivalist Prepper I have 3 videos and go over some of the misconceptions about what you can do with a Beofeng and a technician’s license.
- Video 1: The Basics of Prepper Comms (ranges and what to expect)
- Video 2: Different Types or Radios (GMRS, FRS, and ham)
- Video 3: Getting Your Technicians License
Situations that Comms will be Useful…
- Bug in / Bug Out – Example: If you are bugging out with 2 vehicles you can communicate with each other. Example: if it’s a bug in situation lookouts, scouting and scavenging may be necessary.
- Natural Disasters
- Even if you don’t have a “Prepper Group” if you have a couple (or a few) radios you can create a network (neighbors) and be able to communicate with each other.
TrannMix 25000 mAh Solar Charger
We talked about this Solar Charger in our show about prepper gifts a while back and Lisa got me one this year for Christmas. I’ve listed some of the testing Ive done so far as well as some pros and cons.
- I wish it had a type C charging port but it’s not a huge deal. You can buy adaptors if you don’t already have them.
- The attached to your backpack picture is misleading. There is 1 loop you can use to attach it to your back.
- It’s not recommended to leave this in a car window.
- I like the compact design
- Multiple charges on a full battery
- The flashlight is a cool bonus because who knows right?
- I like that you can charge 2 devices at the same time.
Battle Testing! Not Really
- At 25000 mAh this will charge my iPhone almost 9 times. Probably closer to 8
- 6 hours in the sun = 25% iPhone Charge (iPhone 12 has a 2800 mAh battery)
- 700 mAh in 6 hours is over a month to completely charge this device.
- Charging from computer: 15 hours to charge 100%
I absolutely love this solar charger and plan on doing more durability testing this summer. I expect everything will be fine, but like I said in the show, if it fails you will definitely hear about it haha.
Support the Show!
W appreciate all the support and feedback we have gotten from everyone to this point, the show is really taking off! If you haven’t already you can help support the show by becoming a member of The Bug Out Location membership group, and sharing the podcast with your friends.
The Bug Out Location is filled with members only content, weekly updates, wholesale prices on Legacy Food, and a number of prepping courses.